Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Speak For The Books

In the spirit of children's books, I have to pay tribute to the all-time best, and most original author, Dr. Seuss. While this blog will primarily be filled with updates regarding More Than Attic and our exciting journey ahead, I do need to share some thoughts on something dear to my heart. 

I mentioned my favorite author in my first post, but will probably never be able to express how much I love Dr. Seuss. Not only were his books my favorites growing up, but someone who can make reading fun, encourage non-readers to recite books, and create stories that are memorized forever in the minds of children is truly amazing to me. Due to all of that I feel his stories, so wonderfully original, are sort of.. sacred. And because I feel they are sacred, I have mixed feelings about Dr. Seuss books being made into big motion pictures. 

On one hand, I hope the movies encourage children to fall in love with the books for the first time, or even more in love with the ones they've already read. But on the other hand: "How The Grinch Stole Christmas," with Jim Carrey. Need I say more? Okay, I will: I have been appalled with what cinema did to Dr. Seuss' Grinch ever since my family and I went to see it on Thanksgiving in 2000.  It was the worst movie I've ever seen. It was inappropriate and ironically not suited for children. And it somehow amazingly did the opposite of capturing the essence of one of the most popular books and Christmas stories around.

So why bring all this up? I have been very anxious about how the new movie adaptation of The Lorax will pan out. The Lorax to this day is  one on my top five favorite books. As a child I recognized depth in the words, and as an adult I cry every time I read it. To think the Lorax character could end up embedded in a child's mind the way the Grinch is stuck in mine, makes me beyond upset. All I hope is that the movie tell the story as the book does. There's no need for plot changes, or inappropriate jokes and characters. Everything is already there- the script was written years ago. So with only one way to find out, I will see the movie, and will be rooting the whole time for it to do the beautiful story proud. All Dr. Seuss books deserve nothing less!

No comments:

Post a Comment